(no subject)

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Tue Nov 9 14:25:55 CET 2004

On Tue, November 9, 2004 12:00, Matthias Andree said:
> "Robin Bowes" <robin-lists at robinbowes.com> writes:
>

>> I didn't realise how much spam bogofilter was stopping until this
>> happened. All spam is now hitting my inbox and it's a ridiculous amount!

Matthias,

This was not a criticism of bogofilter - quite the opposite. i was merely
saying how much spam bogofilter was stopping for me and that I was really
noticing the difference now that it isn't working because of the database
problem following the upgrade.

> So why did you install a new major version without consulting the
> RELEASE.NOTES file first? David and I are _purposefully_ investing our
> time and writing the RELEASE.NOTES files to help *you*, the user, avoid
> these pitfalls.

I choose to install bogofilter from RPM; I'm quite capable of building
from the tarball but prefer the convenience of installing using a package
format.

The only place I could find a copy of RELEASE.NOTES-0.93 and README.db
without downloading the source tarball as well as the RPM package is in
CVS.

Can I suggest that you make the documentation supplied with bogofilter
more readily available on your website?

That said, I *did* consult the RELEASE.NOTES file. It told me to consult
README.db, so I consulted README.db. The most obvious relevant section
appears to be section 2.2 "Upgrading from non-transactional releases of
bogofilter (before 0.93)". I followed these instructions and all appeared
well. However, there is no mention of the lock table exhaustion problem in
this section. Can I humbly suggest that you add an additional step to the
upgrade process that mentions the issue and refers to sections 3.2 and
4.2?

> Now try the commands below. If that doesn't help, increase the numbers
> by some thousands and retry, until the error goes away.
>
> dir="$HOME/bogofilter"    # adjust as necessary echo set_lk_max_objects
> 15000   >"$dir"/DB_CONFIG
> echo set_lk_max_locks    15000  >>"$dir"/DB_CONFIG bogoutil -f "$dir"

I will calculate the required values as documented in section 4.2 of
README.db to which you referred me in your initial response to my original
post.

Can I suggest that some sort of utility to do this would be useful?
Perhaps bogofilter should even increase the DB config itself if it
encounters DB errors?

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com