database copying and compacting

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Nov 7 16:55:04 CET 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:44:00 +0100
Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >> But thanks for the hint. I did not understand from the
> >> release notes or the release announcement that there are
> >> quite some problems in migrating which make it necessary to
> >> change scripts.
> >
> >The need is implied in the README.db file.
>
> For later reference it would be a good idea to have all the
> necessary information (including: how to transform the
> database in the first place, what will no longer work as
> before) into one file, I would choose the release notes.
>
> pi

Agreed.  Possibly something like:

The additional files needed for Transaction security require special
handling when copying or compacting a wordlist.  Scripts db_copy and
db_compact provide the needed capabilities.  To copy a database from
directory "old" to directory "new", run command "db_copy old new".  To
compact the wordlist in directory "dir", use command "db_compact dir".

Actually this information needs to a permanent part of the distribution,
i.e. should be in the FAQ, possibly as "How do I copy a wordlist?" and
"How do I compact a wordlist to save space?".  The release notes could
duplicate the info, and GETTING.STARTED would include a pointer to the
FAQ.