support for multiple wordlists

tallison at tacocat.net tallison at tacocat.net
Tue May 18 18:10:35 CEST 2004

> From: "Tom Allison" <tallison at tacocat.net>
>> commas and such make me dizzy.  The order numbers (5,6,7,8) might be
>> better replaced with a single paramater (eg: wordlist_order).  Also, the
>> terms you've described above may have redundancy.  Isn't the ignore and
>> 'R' redundant?  What happens when I have
>> "wordlist=ignore, ~/ignorelist.db, 7, R" ???  (See your NOTE 3)
>
> I think you misunderstood the first term... it's a name, not a type.  The
> and I are the types of the list.  No redundancy.  I like the idea of
> excluding the order from the list declaration, and instead describing it
> afterward.  However, an even easier way to do it would be to simply use
> the
> position of the declaration as the indicator of precedence.  The first
> list
> seen is the first one checked, etc.  Eg:
>
>   wordlist=my_list, ~/wordlist.db, R
>   wordlist=ignore_these, ~/ignoreist.db, I
>   wordlist=fallback_list, /var/spool/bogofilter/wordlist.db, R
>
> Tom

I understood that part, but I was assuming we would only use three
wordlists and therefore defined the 'type' by the name

"wordlist=ignore_these, "  ==> "wordlist_ignore="
This automatically defines the last parameter as "I" without the need to
specify it.  The use of the terms (my_list, ignore_these, fallback_list)
and (R, I ,R) are not exclusive, but should be, of each other and can
cause configuration bugs that can be avoided by a different definition of
the terms.

wordlist_user=  :: this means that it is the user's list
(attribute==my_list) and that it is Read instead of ignored (attribute=R).
So you end up using the configuration notation of:
wordlist_user=~/wordlist.db

Which might also allow you to configure this at the command line in the
same manner that you configure other paramters (bogofilter --min_dev=0.25)
to provide an option of 'bogofilter --wordlist_user=~/wordlist.db'

The current configuration file uses a patter of:
key=value
which allows you to modify this at the command line level with
bogofilter --key=value
I was trying to keep some consistency with
wordlist_user=~/wordlist.db

The only exception to this would be the paramter 'wordlist_order' which
would specify the order of priority without numbers:
wordlist_order= user ignore global