support for multiple wordlists

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Mon May 17 17:17:32 CEST 2004

From: "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com>
> At one time, bogofilter had support for multiple wordlists.  I'm
> thinking of resurrecting the code.  Here's how I think it should
> operate:

Love it!!!  I think we're ready for this now.

>   wordlist=user, ~/wordlist.db, 6, R
>   wordlist=ignore, ~/ignoreist.db, 7, I
>   wordlist=system, /var/spool/bogofilter/wordlist.db, 8, R

In this above example, the ignore list would only apply to the system list,
but not ignore tokens in the user list?  If an ignore list has a lower
priority number than all others, then words will first be ignored before
looking them up in any of the regular wordlists?

> Note 1: bogofilter's registration flags ('-s', '-n', '-u', '-S', '-N' )
> will apply to the first list named.

Will we rely on filesystem permissions, or build in seperate permissions for
updating system wordlists?  I suppose a group could be created for the
purpose of allowing only select people to register certain lists.  I assume
registration flags won't apply to ignore lists?

> Feedback requested :-)

How about this:
wordlist=whitelist, ~/ignorelist.db, 5, I
wordlist=global_zoology_whitelist,
http://blah.org/bogofilter/ignorelists/zoology.db, 6, I
wordlist=primary, ~/wordlist.db, 7, R
wordlist=system, /var/spool/bogofilter/wordlist.db, 8, R
wordlist=zoology_spamtrap,
http://blah.org/bogofilter/wordlists/spamtraps/zoology.db, 9, R
wordlist=general_spamtrap,
http://blah.org/bogofilter/wordlists/spamtraps/general.db, 9, R

Where, obviously, people could maintain wordlists and ignorelists for select
groups of people with similar kinds of email.  The above likely belonging to
a zoologist.  Being able to retrieve wordlists from remote sites (perhaps
cached once a day locally, or else searched one token at a time remotely via
some server-side code) I think would be a huge advantage.

Tom