Bogofilter training

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Mar 5 20:33:27 CET 2004

On 20040305 (Fri) at 1932:54 +0200, jyry at helzinki.net wrote:

> I just abandoned SpamAssassin in the hope that I could find help with bogofilter.

We hope you do! :)

> I have been considering the following method based on what I have read.
>
> 1. Messages are filtered and sorted into INBOX and INBOX.Spam accordingly.
> 2. Users check INBOX and INBOX.Spam and moves/copies false-positives and
> false-negatives into INBOX.NotSpam and INBOX.IsSpam accordingly.
> 3. Bogofilter is learns from the messages in the INBOX.NotSpam and
> INBOX.IsSpam.

I do precisely this at my workplace.

> I have a few questions about the above:
> -Is cron the only method to let bogofilter train from the messages in
> INBOX.NotSpam and INBOX.IsSpam?

No.  One can have them set up as separate users, with .forward piping
to procmail or directly to bogofilter.

> -Should I use a site-wide dictionary or one per user?

One per user is more accurate if you have conscientious users.  I have
a few, but most of my users don't bother bouncing messages to the
.NotSpam and .IsSpam boxes.  So I run a single dictionary and let the
preferences of the conscientious ones prevail ;)

HTH
--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |