Better database??

m at mo.optusnet.com.au m at mo.optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 2 07:10:15 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
> Hello Michael,
[...]
> I have noticed one anomaly that appears several places in your patch.
> In the following bit of code:
>
> 	ds_get_msgcounts(dsh, &msgs_good, &msgs_bad);
> 	msgs_good = val.goodcount;
> 	msgs_bad  = val.spamcount;

Silly mistake. the 2nd pair of lines shouldn't be there.

> The call to ds_get_msgcounts() sets values for msgs_good and msgs_bad.
> These values are overwritten in the next two statements.  I also wonder
> why you changed the calling convention from one "dsv_t *" parameter to
> two "int *" parameters.  Was there a particular reason?

No, they should be signed.

[..]
> If this relates to your "little rant", the goal was to use a struct so
> that ham/spam count pairs could be passed as an atomic type.

Indeed. The change was because I was initally using 16 bit
counts on tokens (it shrunk the data size significantly)
and I started re-working things to make that possible.

In the end it was just too hard to do, so I reverted to 32
bit counters.

> As to word pairs, our goal for bogofilter-1.0 is to have the best
> possible single token filter we can.  Word pairs are easily enough added
> once that goal is met.

No worries, this isn't really a 1.0 item.

Michael.