Better database??

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Mar 2 05:41:07 CET 2004

Hello Michael,

You've been busy!  I can't say I'm too surprised.  You're quiet for a
long while and then you make your grand appearance.

It'll be a few days till I can comment on the technical merits of your
changes.  It takes time to understand what's been done and I'm currently
much busier than I had been (which is a good thing :-)

I have noticed one anomaly that appears several places in your patch.
In the following bit of code:

	ds_get_msgcounts(dsh, &msgs_good, &msgs_bad);
	msgs_good = val.goodcount;
	msgs_bad  = val.spamcount;

The call to ds_get_msgcounts() sets values for msgs_good and msgs_bad.
These values are overwritten in the next two statements.  I also wonder
why you changed the calling convention from one "dsv_t *" parameter to
two "int *" parameters.  Was there a particular reason?

The dsv_t struct contains a pair of unsigned integers (specifically type
"u_int32_t") and you've used signed integers.  Why?

If this relates to your "little rant", the goal was to use a struct so
that ham/spam count pairs could be passed as an atomic type.

As to word pairs, our goal for bogofilter-1.0 is to have the best
possible single token filter we can.  Word pairs are easily enough added
once that goal is met.

'Tis late and I need to get up early.  More later!