Growth [was: Unsures]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jun 28 04:21:03 CEST 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:48:32 -0400
Bob Vincent wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:37:38AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > Running "bogoutil -d wordlist.db | bogoutil -l wordlist.db.new" will
> > "pack" the wordlist.  The new list can easily be 1/3 smaller than
> > the old.
> >
> > Bogofilter uses BerkeleyDB btrees.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. What would be the equivalent command for the tdb implementation?
>
> 2. What are the known tradeoffs among the three available choices for
>    database engine?

Hi Bob,

The commands are the same.  I don't have any info on size efficiency for
tdb or qdbm.

The alternate database engine code was written by people interested in
them and I've hardly used it at all.  I'm really not familiar with what
their strengths and weaknesses.  It's my impression that the other
engines have less code and result in a smaller executable and, being
simpler, run less efficiently.

I'm posting this to the bogofilter list so that more knowledgeable
people can comment and correct any errors in what I've said :-)

Regards,