Growth [was: Unsures]

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Thu Jun 24 15:53:16 CEST 2004

From: "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com>
> Tom Anderson wrote:
> > with time.  It's currently 37M.  Two months ago it was 30M.  I started
> > this wordlist about 8 months ago, so the average monthly growth is
> > around 4.6M/month, while the current growth is around 3.5M/month.
>
> Running "bogoutil -d wordlist.db | bogoutil -l wordlist.db.new" will
> "pack" the wordlist.  The new list can easily be 1/3 smaller than the
> old.
>
> I think a large part of the decreased rate of growth is due to a large
> number of splits and filling in the partial blocks.

Actually, it wasn't that fragmented.  I just packed it, and it only reduced
to 27M or about 73% of it's previous size.  Last time I did that, it was
23M... 77% of the 30M full size.  Going by the packed sizes, the average
growth is 3.375M/month, while the current growth is 2M/month.  This
represents an even faster deceleration than the unpacked sizes would
indicate.  There are other factors though, including my use of spamitarium
starting a few months ago.

Tom