Blank emails - Directory Harvesting Attacks

Chris Fortune cfortune at telus.net
Fri Jun 11 22:29:44 CEST 2004

The entire problem of blank emails is not much different from Denial of Service attacks, in fact they are usually
called Directory Harvesting Attacks, and maybe they should be treated as such.  Can anybody recommend helpful software for detecting
DHA's and distributed DHA's???

The problem with blank emails is that the sender sends the DATA command followed by . QUIT, so there is no opportunity to reject
them based on message content.  I suppose it is possible to send a 550 response to the QUIT command, but not sure if this is RFC
legal or if it will have much effect.

Another approach is to apply bogofilter classification to the head of the email, before the data command.....  Could produce false
positives?  There is not much data to classify.  Has anybody tried this?