Blank emails

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Fri Jun 11 11:34:17 CEST 2004

On 10 Jun 2004 at 22:40, Tom Allison wrote:

> I don't know if you can do multiple regex header checks  in one line
> with postfix, but you could always do the logical NOT regex tests like
> this:
>
> If Subject: does not match "" then OK
> If From: does not match "" then OK
> If To: does not match "undisclosed recipients" then OK
> else REJECT

The actual blank email header looks a bit like this:

Date: <valid_date>
From: <the_spammer>
The header is terminated by two returns but there is no body text at
all.
So there is no Subject line, and no proper To line (just a Bcc)

So I guess the lack of a Subject line might be sufficient to detect
such probes.
"Proper" emails should have a Subject line - even if the sender
forgets to fill it in.

--
Peter Bishop
pgb at adelard.com