Strange error suddenly appears

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jun 11 00:58:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:13:36 -0700
Greg McCann wrote:

> On 6/10/2004 at 5:15 PM David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >The TEMPFAIL status indicates bogofilter has encountered a problem.
> >A recent revision to the database open code causes trouble if there
> >are simultaneously running copies of bogofilter that want to open the
> >wordlist with write permission.  The workaround is to use procmail's
> >locking capability so that only one bogofilter runs at a time.
> >Changing":0c" to ":0c:" (and ":0fw" to ":0fw:") should be all that's
> >needed.
>
> Thank you, David.  That almost worked.
>
> Changing ":0c" to ":0c:" gave the warning:
>
> procmail: Couldn't determine implicit lockfile from "bogofilter"
>
> So I think we have to give it an explicit lockfile name:
>
> :0c:bogofilter.lck
>
> It seems to work okay now, and so far it has not been necessary to
> also lock
>
> :0fw
> # score for spamicity
> | bogofilter -epl -d/home/bogofilter
>
> Greg McCann

'Lo Greg,

Specifying bogofilter.lck isn't necessary on my mail server.  Likely I
have some other option set or a different version of procmail.

"bogofilter -epl" doesn't need a lock since reading doesn't cause any
contention problems.

FWIW, I've attached a small script that demonstrates the permissions
problem.  The problem is new to 0.91.1 :-<

Regards,

David