bogoupgrade.sh [was: problems upon upgrade]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jul 29 01:48:36 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:29:28 -0800
jerry wrote:

... [snip] ...

> With version 0.92.0 here is the error I am recieving, when using:
>
> bogofilter -Q
> Error - bad parameter 'strict_check=no'
> Error - bad parameter 'thresh_index = 0'
> Error - bad parameter 'thresh_stats = 0.0'
> Error - bad parameter 'thresh_rtable = 0.0'
> Error - bad parameter 'algorithm=fisher'

Jerry,

Six months or so back, bogofilter went through a major cleanup and
unused and obsolete options were deprecated, then deleted.  That's the
source of complaints about bogofilter.cf

...[snip]...

> I went into my /home/.bogofilter.cf and commented out the relevent
> error lines, as depicted above, and now this morning I have no emails
> that are not labeled as spam, all have been deleted, as per my
> procmail rules. Prior to this upgrade, using 0.14.5.2, fetchmail,
> procmail, and mutt were working flawlessly.
>
> For the time being, I have disabled fetchmail and freinds, and am
> using kmail.
>
> A perusal thru the man page and associated doc's doesn't reveal the
> area I need to look at.
>
> What am I missing, and where, or a how to fix solution would be
> appreciated.

Ouch.  Skipping multiple version upgrades of bogofilter has dropped you
into a deep, dark dungeon.  Here's what's happening:

Early versions of bogofilter had separate wordlists named spamlist.db
and goodlist.db.  Experiments showed that a wordlist with info on both
spam and ham tokens gives better performance (speed) and uses less disk
space.  Bogofilter was modified to use a combined wordlist named
wordlist.db and for many releases had switches to support both modes.
The 0.16.4 release was the last version that could be built to support
both modes.

Bogofilter 0.92.x isn't aware of spamlist.db and goodlist.db and thinks
there's no wordlist at all and that leads to the result you encountered.

Attached is a shell script that can be used to convert from separate
wordlists to a combined wordlist.  It also creates .txt files containing
the contents of each of the 3 lists.  You can delete these if you wish.

> Thanks for all the work involved with this great program.

Glad to hear that bogofilter has of value (barring the current
difficulty).

HTH,

David