Ne:new feature philosophy [was: Templates]

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Fri Jul 2 16:57:27 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:11:01AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Personally, I'm a little leary of all the new features that are being
> pushed into bogofilter.
> I'm tending to lean on the "ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality here.
> Maybe that's a bad thing for Open Source projects, but bogofilter is
> already wildly successful in it's ability to capture spam.

I suspect that this issue has come up quite a few times with
other projects as well and one could make good arguments for both
positions. Adding a feature is sometimes the only way to show its
utility. Even the failure of a feature sometimes helps to move the project
forward.  Of course, not all features are useful for everyone. One hopes
though that they are useful to enough people! I have not always agreed
with every new feature that has gone into bogofilter nor even some of
the design changes, but since none of them reduced its functionality,
there's no cause to object.

>  The only
> deficiency that I see with respect to other spam filters is 1)
> daemon-capability in order to run more easily "site wide"

One more feature to add... ;) I am personally interested in designing and
implementing this feature. ESR introduced the first try in an attempt to get
around the slowness of using a text based data-store and the Judy hash
library. When we switched to BDB and wordhash, the need went away.
Nonetheless, it is a useful feature, but not high priority for me at the moment.

-Gyepi