bogus bogotuning

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Wed Jan 28 23:57:34 CET 2004

On 20040128 (Wed) at 1742:02 -0500, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> As someone pointed out, it is a trivial change to the sources.
> Computers are supposed to make your life easier, right?  How much time
> would I waste every time I download a new version of bogofilter, to
> patch the sources and recompile

I don't know what you run, but on a pentium 1.2 with half a gig of ram
all that takes 47 seconds.  Add 15 more for me to type in the command
to do it, because I am a slow typist.  One minute two seconds.

>, and all for a trivial change that would
> produce no negative effects at all?

I don't recall, in this whole thread, seeing you attempt to address the
negative effect I have repeatedly postulated: encouraging naïve users
to waste time with worthless bogotune runs.

> Instead of exiting, just print a big warning that any results that
> bogotune will produce might not be very accurate and the user should try
> again with a bigger corpus.  Whats the big deal?  Why such stubborn
> resistance?

A meaningless and unhelpful violation of KISS is worth resisting
stubbornly, IMHO.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |