bogus bogotuning, was: What is a spamicity of exactly 0.5?

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Wed Jan 28 12:44:31 CET 2004

On 20040127 (Tue) at 1802:03 -0500, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> Of course it will be used.  I would use it and I'm sure others would
> also, that is the whole point here.  Are you telling me that if I have
> 1400 spam messages and use bogotune I will get completely garbage
> results, but add 600 more spam and I will get a perfect result?  I don't
> believe it.

Nor do you believe I am telling you that.  In fact, using bogotune on a
corpus of 2,000 spam and 2,000 nonspam in the training db and 500 of
each in the test set will give results that are far from perfect and
should not necessarily be preferred to the defaults supplied with the
distribution.  However, one has to start somewhere, and as the author
of the original version of bogotune, I feel that's a reasonable
minimum, and I don't think we should officially support going lower.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |