bogus bogotuning, was: What is a spamicity of exactly 0.5?

Greg McCann greg at cambria.com
Wed Jan 28 00:04:51 CET 2004

On 1/27/2004 at 5:23 PM Greg Louis <glouis at dynamicro.on.ca> wrote:

>If that option is there, it will be used.  If it is used, laymen will
>get useless suggestions from bogotune and will get lousy results with
>bogofilter.  Should we clutter the code with bad options and then say,
>"actually this is a bad thing, don't use it"?

I don't have an opinion on the merits of this particular option, but lots of software has "dangerous" options (either runtime, config, or compile-time) that should only be used by those who know what they are doing.  Sendmail's "DONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL" and netcat's "GAPING_SECURITY_HOLE" come to mind.  I think the option should be judged by its potential usefulness to a knowledgeable user rather than the fact that someone who doesn't know what they are doing might use it inappropriately.

Greg McCann