bogus bogotuning, was: What is a spamicity of exactly 0.5?

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Tue Jan 27 19:45:59 CET 2004

On 20040127 (Tue) at 1138:50 -0500, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> Also, I would just like to be able to run the bogotune command without
> having to wait until my ham & spam folders reach some arbitrary limit.

The reason I imposed those limits is simply that bogotune's results are
quite worthless if you don't have significant numbers of messages in
the training db and a reasonable set of test messages for it to chew
on.  Rules, they say, are for the obedience of the ignorant and the
guidance of the wise and knowing; if you can theoretically justify
running bogotune on fewer than 2000 each of ham and spam in the
training db and 500 of each in the test set, you're welcome to
recompile your copy of bogofilter with those limits removed.

All I ask is that if anyone does that, they don't subsequently flame me
on the list with "bogotune gives garbage output!" -- that complaint
will receive a very unenthusiastic response.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |