How to get the most out of Bogofilter

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Tue Jan 20 15:40:56 CET 2004

On 20040119 (Mon) at 2338:42 +0100, Henri van Riel wrote:

> I can pass an email though stdout to a script or program but extremail
> only expects a return value from that. for example, I set up a filter
> that will return a 1 in case of spam which means that the email will
> not be delivered to the recipient, it will get bounced.
>
> If this the way someone would use Bogofilter in a production
> environment or is there another (better) way to use it?

Bogofilter's normal exit codes are 0 for spam, 1 for nonspam, 2 for
unsure.  In production I deliver to the recipient's normal mailbox if
the code is non-zero and to a special per-user spam mailbox (which gets
cleaned out nightly, deleting everything over a week old) otherwise.
Users can bounce false positives (if any) to a nonspam account for
registering, and false negatives to a spam account.  It seems to be
working fairly well; some newsletters cause conflict (one user puts it
in spam and the next in nonspam), but my user community seems fairly
happy.  Dunno if that's "better" than what you envisaged, but it can
serve as one example of a running configuration.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |