bogofilter randomly fails to find db's

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Jan 10 05:30:18 CET 2004

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, David Relson wrote:

> I don't recall all the details of your situation but BerkelyDB doesn't
> like version mismatches.  In particular a program built with 3.x will
> fail if it tries to read a database created with 4.x.  Running "file
> *list.db" will tell you the database version (8 corresponds to 3.x and 9
> to 4.x) and "ldd bogofilter" will indicate which shared library is being
> used.

Not a problem for Rocky. bogofilter from the FreeBSD ports has always
used BerkeleyDB 4.0 (there are "slave ports" that use TDB or, as of
recently, bogofilter-qdbm instead).

As to error reporting, it is botched in some places, and cannot be fixed
without harming portability or fitting error reporting characteristics
of the underlying OS and version into bogofilter - which is a
maintenance nightmare.