bogofilter randomly fails to find db's

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Jan 10 05:24:25 CET 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> Since Im running FreeBSD, I rarely downloads tarballs, I use the ports
> system. :)
> But you were correct. Running portupgrade showed that there was a new
>  10.15.13,1 version available. However, upgrading did not solve the
> problem. It behaved exactly like the old version.

Good to know, the first feedback for the new port :-)

> When bogoupgrade also failed on the db's, I started to believe that
> maybe the db's themselves had something to do with the error.

db_verify can check if they are, unfortunately, it's renamed to
db40_verify on FreeBSD. Run it on the renamed files to figure if your
old data bases were broken.

> I renamed both db's, and started feeding spam to bogofilter to build
> up a new db. And guess what, it worked. A new db was created, and with
> this new db I have not seen the error a single time, inspite of heavy
> manual provocation.

BerkeleyDB is sensitive to write errors ("disk full") and crashes, and
it doesn't necessarily detect corruption right away.