paths and permissions

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Feb 21 22:52:34 CET 2004

Greetings,

I've moved my wordlist file from /var/lib/bogofilter/ to
/var/spool/bogofilter/ and have changed its owner and group from relson
to mail.  The changes give a more reasonable appearance to the process
of receiving email and running "bogofilter -u":

drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         4096 Nov  3 13:14 /var/
drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root         4096 Feb 21 15:31 /var/spool/
drwxr-xr-x    2 mail     mail         4096 Feb 21 16:25
/var/spool/bogofilter/
-rw-r--r--    1 mail     mail     71823360 Feb 21 16:40
/var/spool/bogofilter/wordlist.db

Postfix (or procmail) does seem to be using some permission magic.
Userid "charlie" doesn't have write access to wordlist.db and can't
modify the file when logged in and running commands.  However when
there's email for "charlie", he has write access to the file.  A test
shows that the following environment variables are set:

    DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail/charlie
    EUID=1022
    LOGNAME=charlie
    ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail/charlie
    UID=1022

Don't ask me how this all works since I don't know.  Does one of you?