bogofilter -u let's spam come through

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Feb 21 02:38:52 CET 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:29:40 -0800
Greg McCann wrote:

> On 2/20/2004 at 7:16 PM David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm with Tom - lock it down.
> >
> >My 5 user domain shares a wordlist that's permitted 640, which works
> >fine with "-u".
>
> Hi David,
>
> Would you please explain how you get that to work correctly?  When I
> set up bogofilter on my system, I found (if I recall correctly) that
> sendmail was running processes called from ~/.procmailrc with the
> permissions of the user receiving the mail.  Since bogofilter -u was,
> in effect, being run by all users I thought I had to chmod 666 the
> wordlists.  In fact, I couldn't get it to work until I did.
>

> Greg McCann

Greg,

I wish I could explain it, but I can't -- someone else is going to have
to answer it for you.

I'm using postfix and procmail (cause that's what Mandrake defaults to)
and it's working just fine for me.

The permissions are:

   drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jan 26 08:00
/var/lib/bogofilter
  -rw-r-----    1 relson   relson   71651328 Feb 20 19:06
/var/lib/bogofilter/wordlist.db

Whether this is a sendmail/procmail difference or something else, I
can't say.