bogofilter -u let's spam come through

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 20 21:59:50 CET 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:26:23 -0500
Eric Wood wrote:

> Okay,
>
> I'm still running bogofilter-0.15.8-1.
>
> Two days ago I ran:
> # bogoutil -c1 -a30 -m wordlist.db
> CTRL-C'd to stop it as it was taking too long and procmail's were
> building up.
>
> # bogoutil -d ./wordlist.db | bogoutil -l ./new.db
> # mv ./new.db ./wordlist.db
>
> This resulted in a new wordlist.db almost half the origninal size.
>
> Now after two days, only half the spam is being caught.  I'm
> feverishly doing the bogofilter -Ns trick.
>
> So I got the bright idea to change "* ? bogofilter -u" to just "* ?
> bogofilter" in our shared procmail file.   Presto - no more spam - all
> day!
>
> I just switched it back to using "-u" and spam is comming through.
> Any words of wisdom?
>
> thanks,
> -Eric Wood

Hi Eric,

"* ? bogofilter" is procmail's recipe for running bogofilter and
checking the return code, correct?

Assuming that, I ran a test to verify that the return codes from
"bogofilter" and "bogofilter -u" are the same.  I got the same answers
using both commands.

Are you checking return codes properly?  Remember they're
  0 - spam
  1 - ham
  2 - unsure

I normally use the "-p" option to include the "X-Bogosity:
(Yes|No|Unsure) spamicity: 0.123456" header line.  It might be
interesting to use "-p -u" for a while and look at the results.

Let me know what you learn.