benchmark

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Feb 12 01:10:56 CET 2004

On 11 Feb 2004 09:42:27 -0500
Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 11:12, Tom Anderson wrote:

...[snip]...

> [tanderso at www .bogofilter]$ bogofilter -V
> bogofilter version 0.16.0
>     Database: BerkeleyDB (4.1.25)
> Copyright (C) 2002 Eric S. Raymond
>
> So, clearly the fact that I was originally running it through open2
> did not cause the effect I observed, as running it from the command
> line corroborates it.  Unless there's a good reason for this behavior,
> it ought to be fixed.
>
> Tom

Tom,

You indicate a problem but don't give much info about your environment
or what you're doing.  In order to fix anything I need more info about
what is (or might be) wrong.

How big is the mailbox you're registering?  How
big is your wordlist?  What other factors do you think relate to the
problem?

Have you tried optimizing your wordlist?  BerkeleyDB databases tend to
grow and become fragmented over time.  Dumping and reloading will save
space and will improve performance.  Try the following:

  cp wordlist.db wordlist.db.save
  bogoutil -d wordlist.db.save | bogoutil -l wordlist.db.new
  ls -l wordlist.db*
  cp wordlist.db.new wordlist.db

You can expect to see a size reduction.  You may also see a performance
improvement.

You don't mention how big your wordlist is nor whether you're setting
the db cachesize parameter.  That may help as well.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800