benchmark

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Feb 11 15:42:27 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 11:12, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Total running time was 21 wallclock secs, 8.01 CPU secs.
> 0.003 CPU secs/line, 0.4 CPU secs/email.
> Bfproxy required 0.41 usr + 0.22 sys = 0.63 CPU secs.
> Bogofilter required 0.99 usr + 6.39 sys = 7.38 CPU secs.
>
> It seems that the Bogofilter child process required lots of system time
> compared to user time, which I think is unusual.  This could have to do
> with running through Open2, but I was wondering if anyone benchmarked
> bogofilter from the command line and had a similar ratio.

Just to follow up on this observation, I also timed bogofilter from the
command line, and it still showed a very high ratio of system time to
user time.  The system time was consistently on the order of 10x greater
than the user time.  As noted at
http://oscinfo.osc.edu/computing/gen-perf.shtml, "the user time is
usually significantly greater than the system time. Indeed, a high ratio
of system to user CPU time may indicate a problem. Exceptions such as
page faults, misaligned memory references, and floating-point exceptions
consume a large amount of system time."

Moreover, the verbose output of "time" shows consistently 308 major page
faults, and varies between 300-600 minor page faults.  The results
follow:

[tanderso at www .bogofilter]$ time -v bogofilter -sv -I oe.eml
# 418 words, 1 message
        Command being timed: "bogofilter -sv -I oe.eml"
        User time (seconds): 0.03
        System time (seconds): 0.35
        Percent of CPU this job got: 23%
        Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:01.65
        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 308
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 362
        Voluntary context switches: 0
        Involuntary context switches: 0
        Swaps: 0
        File system inputs: 0
        File system outputs: 0
        Socket messages sent: 0
        Socket messages received: 0
        Signals delivered: 0
        Page size (bytes): 4096
        Exit status: 0

[tanderso at www .bogofilter]$ bogofilter -V
bogofilter version 0.16.0
    Database: BerkeleyDB (4.1.25)
Copyright (C) 2002 Eric S. Raymond

So, clearly the fact that I was originally running it through open2 did
not cause the effect I observed, as running it from the command line
corroborates it.  Unless there's a good reason for this behavior, it
ought to be fixed.

Tom