Tricky

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sun Feb 1 15:03:22 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:00:47AM +1100, Tig wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:33:48 +0000 Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:53:29PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > > An interesting trick in the spam below.
> > I should probably just unsubscribe from the bogofilter list but do
> > you think it might be an idea to create a bogofilter-new-spam or
> > something list to discuss spam and post it so that people never have
> > to corrupt their DBs with messages sent to this list?
> Is this because you use the -u option on all email? I found that using
> -u damaged my wordlist.db very quickly. So quickly I went back to not
> using it.

"damage" in what way?

I use the three way classification and -u and then train on teh few that
get into my spam-unsure folder.

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:32:52AM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> With bogofilter's use of many tokens from each email in scoring, I've
> yet to see a problem caused by one or two misclassified tokens.

Yeah, it's probably fine and more resilient than most people believe I
just wondered more if there was an actual need for such a separate list
to discuss new attacks etc.

> Assuming you're using procmail, maildrop, etc, you could whitelist the
> mailing list with a simple test.  That'd keep list messages out of
> your wordlist.

Yup, I do this for an abuse@ address already which whilst it does
receives spam it would be terrible if someone attached a spam as a
complaint and it didn't get dealt with for instance.

I probably should just succomb and whitelist bogofilter lists.

Simon

--
... "Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?" - Marvin