Filtering before MS Exchange

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Wed Dec 15 12:45:02 CET 2004

mbox mbarsalou wrote:
> I personally use bogofilter at home and was considering pitching it to
> an organization that is currently using MS Exchange.
>
> I am fairly sure that they are not wanting to get rid of Exchange, so my
> thinking is gravitating toward using bogofilter in a gateway machine
> that delivers the mail to the Exchange server.
>
> What are some opinions from the group here?
>
> Aside from the distaste some might have for MS Exchange, is this a
> viable option?
>
> If this is a good idea, what should the gateway machine look like?  What
> services need to be on it and what are some good methods for determining
> the required hardware.  I was thinking something like Sendmail,
> procmail, bogofilter.  Alternatives?
>
> We take small positive steps toward the light. :)
>
> Mike B.

The difficulty is getting bogofilter to work on a mail server without
the local delivery agent.  Typical application of bogofilter is after
it's been handled by the mail server and is on it's way to local delivery.

However, you could pitch something like postfix and proxsmtpd might do
well for this.  I found it on a web page that also has clamsmtpd tools
that I am using with great success.

I believe that this could allow you to utilize bogofilter as a filtering
tool.

However, I have to comment that my current mail server, though old and
"known" to the spammers, is only taking receipt of <10 spams per day
based on postfix only configuration.  If you could impliment a postfix
only gateway you might find yourself having a very significant impact
with a minimum of processing overhead.  It could be a relatively small box?

I have to admit that immediately after implimenting greylisting on my
mail server, the spam received went from 30-60 to 1-2.  It's now peaked
at 14 in one day with an average of ~5 per day.  I believe that the
lesson here is that everything/anything you do to affect spam delivery
on a mail server will have a great temporary affect with only a modest
affect in the long run.  I estimate that in 6 months my spam will reach
highs of 30 again.  But perhaps I'm being pessimistic.