Bogofilter hand forwarded e-mails ??

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Dec 4 00:31:35 CET 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:00:29 -0700
Michael Gale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I have been using bogofilter for some time now and it has been
create.
> One question I have is does asking bogofilter to traning from
forwarded
> e-mail work ??
>
> 	We have a virtual account set up for every user and any mail
bogofilter
> detects as SPAM gets sent there. If the user logs in via a web
interface
> they can forward the message to there main account.
>
>  From the main account they can drag the message to a public folder
> called NOTSPAM. Where the messages are passed to bogofilter to be
> trained as NOTSPAM.
>
> Will the fact that these messages have been forward cause a issue ?
>
> Thanks ..

Hello Michael,

You're right to sense a possible problem.  Plain ol' forwarding adds
headers for your domain, which isn't good because you want bogofilter to
see the headers of the original message.  On the other hand, if the
messages are forwarded as attachments you can get good results.  What
you want is a script that will extract the original message so it can
then be used for training.  In bogofilter's contrib directory
are two perl scripts:  mime.get.rfc822 and bfproxy.  Give them a
test and see if they're what you need.  If not, feel free to
cut/paste/enhance.

HTH,