procmail, was: speeding up bogofiltering

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 1 13:20:35 CET 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:04:57 -0500
Greg Louis wrote:

> On 20041201 (Wed) at 1150:33 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > I don't recommend procmail for fresh installs, it's very hard to
> > configure in a way that it is robust.
> >
> s/configure/learn to configure/ IMHO.  While it's certainly got a
> steepish learning curve, I'd maintain that once one knows it
> adequately it's not that hard to operate.  Sorta like Linux :)
>
> But I must take a look at maildrop and see if it can do all I need yet
> be simpler...

I attempted to replace procmail with maildrop on my mailserver.  Can't
be done the way I want it.  I use procmail with a system wide set
of rules.  Two of my spam related rules are "save copies in mbox
spam-bogofilter" and then "put the message in the administrator's mbox,
rather than the user's mbox".  Since procmail runs as root, the
mailboxes are all accessible.

AFAICT, maildrop can only run as a user and can only have rules for a
single user.  That prevents changing mboxs for delivery.  I spent some
time on the maildrop mailing list discussing this limitation, to little
effect.  Sigh....