cleanup

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 13:12:35 CET 2004

Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:

> The lock files for the database are far exceeding the original wordlist
> in size and I'm not certain that there is any need for many of these
> files.

We're still polishing the documentation, but a lot of it is already
there, check README.db.

> However, considering that I've had to rebuild this database from scratch
> twice now

You've had to rebuild a _transactionally_ protected database? That is
interesting, to put it mildly. 0.93.1 should not lose its database under
any circumstances except hardware fault or power loss while a write
cache of a hard disk drive was enabled.

Unfortunately, 0.93.1 still has a quirk in the transaction handling
which is gone in CVS and will be gone in 0.93.2.

> I'm more than a little reluctant to just delete anything.

Sure. And that's the whole point of the logging.

> Personally, I'm still not clear on why these changes should be "good"
> with all the problems reported,

Short story: http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/why.html

The problem you're reporting is:
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/logfile.html

We see toothing diseases. If you don't want to be able to run
catastrophic recovery, you can cope with just backing up a few files,
see http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/archival.html

The changes are meant to support isolation, unrestricted concurrent
access (registration and scoring at the same time) and durability,
i. e. no more database corruptions.

I'd like to help with your "need to rebuild" problems, but I still
haven't got sufficient information or an idea what else to ask.