cleanup

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 1 12:56:45 CET 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:48:21 -0500
Tom Allison wrote:

> I'm probably approaching OT, but how do I know what files I can clean
> up from my wordlist directory (~/.bogofilter/)
>
> The lock files for the database are far exceeding the original
> wordlist in size and I'm not certain that there is any need for many
> of these files.
>
> However, considering that I've had to rebuild this database from
> scratch twice now I'm more than a little reluctant to just delete
> anything. Personally, I'm still not clear on why these changes should
> be "good" with all the problems reported, but that's a feature of any
> change so I'll leave that one go as an opinion.  But a technical
> description of why would be helpful to me.

Hi Tom,

See script db_copy (on SourceForge) or RTFM (specifically
README.db, specifically "3.1 LOG FILE HANDLING")

Using transactions reduces the likelihood of a damaged database due to
bogofilter or hardware malfunction.  Using transactions introduce
additional complexity into database management.

They are "good" for the first reason and "bad" for the second reason.

HTH,