speeding up bogofiltering

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 1 05:27:19 CET 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:01:00 -0400
Trevor Smith wrote:

> On November 29, 2004 2:43 pm, Trevor Smith wrote:
> > So, assuming I can get sendmail and fetchmail running smoothly,
> > which is it that would actually do the passing of messages to
> > bogofilter
>
> Sorry for the abruptly ending email. I had actually saved it for later
> editing and then began playing with sendmail. I wasn't able to get
> sendmail working until just now, but when I did, everything that I
> *thought* had been sent for the past few days suddenly got flushed
> from my sendmail queue, including my incomplete message.
>
> Anyway, the question remains: if I get sendmail/fetchmail working, is
> that all I need? Or is procmail or something similar the actual
> program that I will use to call bogofilter?

Trevor,

As to MTA, I've been happy with postfix.  I've seen in a variety of
places that postfix is easier to setup than sendmail. Though I've not
used sendmail, I can confirm that postfix is pretty easy.

Along with postfix, one can use maildrop or procmail.  Maildrop has a
nice rules syntax and looks good for a single user.  Procmail is older,
well known and suitable for site-wide usage.  Both work well with
bogofilter.

Bogofilter's documentation includes postfix info in
doc/integrating-with-postfix and the FAQ.  There's maildrop info in
contrib/mailfilter.example.

That should be enough to get you going.

Regards,