pair timing

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Wed Apr 14 13:32:23 CEST 2004

Hi!

I stopped my experiment from yesterday, it just does not
continue. Some little timing:

$ time cat spam-1 | /home/3.14/bin/bogopairs/bin/bogofilter
-P -d test3/tte.pairs -TM|wc -l
   5000

real    1m49.892s
user    1m2.470s
sys     0m1.510s
$ time cat spam-2 | /home/3.14/bin/bogopairs/bin/bogofilter
-P -d test3/tte.pairs -TM|wc -l
   5000

real    1m45.505s
user    1m8.280s
sys     0m1.930s

That looks OK, but:

$ time cat spam-[1-2] |
/home/3.14/bin/bogopairs/bin/bogofilter -P -d
test3/tte.pairs -TM|wc -l

real    13m55.737s
user    1m52.980s
sys     0m4.190s

I stopped this one, it took much too long. You would expect
it just takes twice as long.

If I take away the wc, I can observe that things get slower,
sometimes it comes to a halt with strong disc activity
(swapping?), it continues after a while.

So it looks like the problem occurs only after many messages
are processed.

pi