quick-n-dirty parameter tuning, was Re: compile time options

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Tue Sep 30 18:36:33 CEST 2003

On 20030930 (Tue) at 1138:15 -0400, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 07:53, Greg Louis wrote:
> > now" values with tiny dbs.  Come to think of it, if we had such a
> > thing, maybe it could even be made part of a classification run -- got
> > a small db, retune it like a harpsichord for every use -- got a big
> > one, treat it like a piano and tune it every 3 months :)
>
> That sounds like a fine idea.  Nobody wants to be manually tuning their
> database as just a regular user.  They (or more likely a server admin)
> just want to set it up and let it work, only sending corrections when
> needed.  If the tuning is done as a part of the
> classification/registration, then it becomes much more user-friendly.

The big problem is speed; if you're going to do bogofilter -vM on a big
mbox, a training session to start with doesn't hurt.  If you really do
tune every time bogofilter's invoked from procmail, though, the tuning
algorithm is going to have to be at least five orders of magnitude
faster than what my bogotune script does in order to be practical.  I
shall play around some to see what might be feasible...

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |