Can bogofilter filter Swen

p at dirac.org p at dirac.org
Wed Sep 24 06:47:45 CEST 2003

stephen,

procmail isn't a service that needs to be turned on/off via startup
scripts in init.d.

it *could* be invoked via your .forward file, but instead, it's almost
certainly invoked directly by your MTA.  i'm not sure what rh uses.
sendmail?  anyway, debian uses exim by default, and you can see how
procmail is invoked by looking at /etc/exim/exim.conf.

looking at exim.conf, it appears that my procmai is invoked whenever
mail is to be delivered *and* a user's ~/.procmailrc is defined.  redhat
may be different, but i doubt it.

to be absolutely certain, use vi (not emacs!) to create a file named
~/.procmailrc.  the contents of this line should be:

VERBOSE=1
LOGFILE=/home/stephen/MAILLOG

replace "/home/stephen" with whatever your home directory is.   you
should see a file named MAILLOG appear the next time you get an email.
if you see this file appear and grow with time, you know procmail is
being run.

if you don't see MAILLOG appear, you need to read your system docs
(most likely /usr/share/doc/procmail/) to see how procmail is to be
invoked.  once upon a time, everyone used .forward files, but procmail
has become so ubiquitous that it's using done directly through the MTA.

pete