breaking the training db

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Sep 22 20:00:00 CEST 2003

"Peter Bishop" <pgb at adelard.com> writes:

> Hmm - might be a case for "degeneration", i.e. if you cannot find
> "head:token" , use the count for "token" instead.
>
> Degeneration should prevent a drop in accuracy during the transition
> phase (ditto for other changes in token handling like case sensitive
> tokens).

True spoken, but nobody will care for such cruft code a few months from
now. Such degeneration or fallback code must be written, debugged,
integrated, only to be removed a month later, again with debugging,
de-integration and other tests. That's a lot of work in a beta version.

There's an observation, in German it's "Provisorien halten am längsten",
i. e.: /Makeshift/ solutions last the longest.

So this code will be around for way too long.