Has bogoutil gone batty, or have I?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Sep 9 03:57:38 CEST 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
Benji Tittle <benji at tittle.net> wrote:

> Ok, I'm getting some REALLY bizzare output from bogoutil.  I've tried
> this with both bogoutil and bogoutil_static, versions 0.15.0 and
> 0.15.2.  Am I just completely misunderstanding the man page?
>
> I'm expecting the following command to print all tokens with a count
> of zero:
>
> $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db -c0
>
> ...and this command to print out all tokens with a count of two or
> fewer:
>
> $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db -c2
>
> Now here's the rub... I'm expecting there to be more tokens that match
> the 2nd command than match the 1st, since the first should be subset
> of the 2nd, right?!?
>
> Here're my test results:
>
> $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db -c0 | wc -l
>  223611
> $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db -c1 | wc -l
>  132076
> $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db -c2 | wc -l
>   64812
>
> HUH?!?

Benji,

I think you're misunderstanding the man page :-(

Bogoutil _expects_ '-c' (count) to be used with '-m' (maintenance mode).
 The man page documents "-c count" as discarding tokens with counts less
than or equal to "count".  Used with '-d' (dump), bogoutil is dumping
tokens having a count greater than "count".  So, as you go from "-c0" to
"-c1" to "-c2" smaller numbers of tokens are kept in maintenance mode
and are dumped in dump mode.

Very possibly the man page could describe the action better.  If you'd
care to revise the wording send me your changes and we'll see what can
be done about improving the docs!