New Releases - 0.14.5.4 and 0.15.0

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Sep 3 13:13:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:25:52 -0700
Jef Poskanzer <jef at acme.com> wrote:

> >Is there some method to train on an entire MH mailbox?
>
> What I have been using up until now is:
>
>     alias spam_all 'ls | xargs bogofilter -s -B'
>     alias ham_all 'ls | xargs bogofilter -n -B'
>
> Previously I was doing ls | bogofilter -b; however, that would do the
> whole folder in a single run.  Since my spam folder typically has more
> than 5000 messages in it (that's just one week's worth), registering
> it all can take quite a while, and the bogofilter processess trying to
> run on my incoming mail are all waiting on the lock.  Eventually
> procmail will start to time-out and I get a big mess in my inbox.  So,
> instead I use xargs and -B so that the mass registration gets broken
> up into batches and incoming mail gets a chance to run.
>
> If the 0.15 MH handling also tries to do the whole folder in a single
> run, I might have to keep doing it this way.
> ---
> Jef

Jef,

Bogofilter has long done a good job registering multiple messages from a
mbox file.  The problem with registering lots of messages from an MH or
Maildir was that bogofilter updated the wordlist for each input file.
That was slow.  When you test the 0.15.0 code I think you'll find that
it's comparably fast for mboxs and Maildirs.  As 0.15.1 will soon be
released and has some important fixes, you might want to wait a little
while.