Bogofilter-0.15.9 - New Current Release

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Nov 24 19:50:40 CET 2003

Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-bf at ladro.com> writes:

>> The autodetection magic has since been changed with a focus on run-time
>> convenience in contrast to build-time convenience. Can you do (in a sh,
>> ksh, ash, bash) this:
>>
>> for i in `locate libdb.so` ; do echo $i ; readelf -d $i | grep SONAME ;
>> echo ; done
>
> /usr/lib/libdb.so.2
>  0x0000000e (SONAME)                     Library soname: [libdb.so.2]
>
> /usr/lib/libdb.so
>  0x0000000e (SONAME)                     Library soname: [libdb-4.1.so]

I've got the bug, it bites --enable-static.

The problem is that somewhere on that linker command line there lingers
a "-static" option, and you don't (evidently) have /usr/lib/libdb.a -
and you should not. The static (.a) link libraries have their version
number in their names.

I presume this is another problem I introduced when looking for run-time
link paths. These .a libraries don't have the nice soname feature, and
the pre-soname stuff tried the db-4.1 db-4.0 db-3.3 ... names first.

I'll see if I can concoct a solution.