0.15.7 badly broken (two problems on FreeBSD)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Nov 16 01:34:15 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:29:32 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> I'm seeing two critical problems with recent versions of bogofilter
> (e.g. 0.15.4, 0.15.7) on FreeBSD (using the port with default
> settings, e.g. Berkeley DB 4.0.14, gsl 1.4):
>
> procmail: Program failure (-25) of "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter"
> procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
> From kris at obsecurity.org  Sat Nov 15 15:20:55 2003
>  Subject: Nvi saved the file .procmailrc
>   Folder: 								      0
> bogofilter: (db) db_get_dbvalue( 'head:bulk' ), err: -30988,
> DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found procmail: Program failure
> (3) of "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter" procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data
> succeeded
>
> postfix is the local MTA, and is delivering to the procmail recipe
> from the bogofilter manpage.
>
> Dumping and restoring the database using db_dump (db4_dump on FreeBSD)
> and db_restore as described in the FAQ causes the second problem to go
> away for a little while, but it soon becomes corrupted again.  I
> haven't found a way to work around the first problem.
>
> Both problems seem to be persistent with a given message, i.e. the
> same error occurs each time procmail redelivers it to bogofilter.
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas?  At the moment I am unable to use
> bogofilter at all, and I'd hate to have to change over to something
> else.
>
> Kris

Kris,

I've encountered the (-25) but haven't figure out all the ins and outs.

One way to do it is mixing db4 and db3.  I had the problem when I did a
"bogutil -d | bogoutil -l" using bogoutil built with db4" and then tried
to use the wordlist using bogofilter linked using db3.

Another db problem can occur with a max file size when using procmail to
control "bogofilter -u" (which writes the database).  If you're using
postfix, "postconf | egrep '^m.*size_limit'" will show your current
limits and you can compare to the size of wordlist.db.

A possible (temporary) solution may be to use the wordlist in a
read-only mode ...

Have you changed file permissions for wordlist.db??  A temporary setting
of 777 might help determine if permissions are behind your difficulties.

When you _do_ figure the cause of the problem, please post it so that
the info can be added to the FAQ.

Hope this helps.