any opinions of bogofilter-milter.pl

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Thu Nov 6 08:40:06 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:51, Matthias Andree wrote:
> I've found it very hard to write readable (thus, maintainable) Perl
> code. WORN code, Write Once Read Never.

With all of the space you save in unnecessary code, you can afford long
comments in plain english.  I generally comment every line or block.
For instance, is my bfproxy code
(http://www.orderamidchaos.com/bogofilter/bfproxy) difficult to read or
maintain?  I wrote C code for awhile, and found programming time and
bugs were both dramatically reduced when I started using Perl.

Since this could turn into a huge off-topic philosophical war, I think
we should all suffice it to say that we each have our own language
preferences.  I'm sure others will offer java, lisp, python, scheme, and
a host of other languages as superior.  If they accomplish the job at
hand (which any Turing complete language should), then it is the
programmer's prerogative to use the language most comfortable and be
prepared to deal with the consequences.  In Perl, maybe that means
writing more comments.  In C, maybe that means more sanity checks and
manual garbage collection.  In any event, I see an attack on one's
choice unwarranted.  It's not the language that makes a program good or
"crap", but the programmer's skill and habits.  It ultimately just
becomes bits anyway.

Tom