any opinions of bogofilter-milter.pl

Stefan Mashkevich mash at mashke.org
Wed Nov 5 20:17:32 CET 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Tom Anderson <tanderso at oac-design.com> writes:
>
> > What I see in your "opinion" is an unsubstantiated philosophy.
> > Considering perl is a vital part of a *nix system, wanting to eliminate
> > it in any way sounds as absurd as wanting to eliminate C or assembler.
> > What's the source of your hatred?
>
> I've found it very hard to write readable (thus, maintainable) Perl
> code. WORN code, Write Once Read Never.

I respectfully dissent.

Of course, winning the Obfuscated Perl Contest is one thing... :-) But,
writing *and* maintaining Perl code being the central part of my job
description, I have never had problems understanding what's written in a
normal manner. On the contrary, if you want to map a function onto an
array, "array2 = map function, array1" reads much easier (all right, to
me) than a loop. It tells you what is being done here, in one keyword.

OTOH, when I sometimes think how much extra load is being imposed on the
CPU by those fancy-looking string functions (the equivalent of which could
be achieved by moving a pointer without allocating anything), it makes me
shiver :-) But then again, Perl should be used for what it was meant to be
used for (which, obviously, is not writing OS kernels).

                                                   Stefan