defining empty lines.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun May 18 05:37:28 CEST 2003

At 10:22 PM 5/17/03, elijah wrote:

>On Sun, 18 May 2003, Adrian Ho wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 03:51:25PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > > P.S. Alternate solutions are welcomed.
> >
> > If you're simply looking for a good place to write the X-Bogosity
> > header, just tack it to the start of the message (ie. before every other
> > header).

Adrian,

The actual position of the X-Bogosity line is not important.  Its being put
in the wrong place show that there are messages that are not rfc2822
compliant and that bogofilter doesn't handle them well.  The failure to
recognize the beginning of the message body could cause bogofilter to
incorrectly classify the message.  That _is_ important, which is why
bogofilter needs to identify the line separating the message header and the
message body.

It'd be nice if bogofilter only had to worry about standards compliant
messages.  Unfortunately, non-compliant messages are being sent and
bogofilter _must_ be able to deal with them.

>I don't know if this is exactly the same problem, but I frequently get
>legitimate mail where the x-bogosity header starts after the first
>paragraph of the message. In particular, I think the popular web-mail
>client squirrelmail sends me mail which throws bogofilter off. So
>my vote: whatever it takes to change this.
>
>samples available upon request.

Elijah,

It may well be the same problem.  Why don't you make a .tgz file of several
of the messages and send them to me off-list.  I'll take a look and see if
I can figure out if yours are misplaced for the same reason.