mail.aotto.com blackholed

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Fri May 16 20:35:37 CEST 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 07:22:37PM +0100, Peter Bishop wrote:
> On 16 May 2003 at 8:25, David Relson wrote:
>
> > A few months ago, I had the inverse problem.  I was forced to change DSL
> > providers and my new static ip address was/is on some blacklists, because
> > it's in an address block previously used by spammer Alan Ralsky.  Aotto.com
> > was using one of those RBLs.  The result was that I couldn't post to the
> > bogofilter list.  The RBL wouldn't change their listing, so Adrian stopped
> > using it.
> >
> I had the similar problem when sending to the bogofilter list.
> My IP address was in a block of addreses that  transiently appeared on the
> SpamCop list. This (I think) was being used by aotto.com (or associated
> ISP) for filtering.
> I must say I am unimpressed by blacklisting, it affects too many innocent
> bystanders.

Isn't a large (but dubious, IMO) part of the goal of blacklisting to
cause enough collateral damage that the wrongly-listed parties will
demand that their provider shut down the access of the spammer?
Of course this strongarm tactic fails completely if the blacklist
maintainers are slow to react to and investigate problem reports/removal
requests.