understanding bogofilter

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue May 6 16:29:21 CEST 2003

Hi Bogofilter,

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 08:04:26AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> At 05:31 AM 5/6/03, Simon Huggins wrote:
> >> It would be crucial to have the headers forwarded. One idea
> >> might be to forward the mails as attachments so that only
> >> the attachment is given to bogofilter. The only question is
> >> if users can be trained to do that correctly.
> >
> >Actually this is a very interesting point.  Perhaps there should a
> >switch to discard either the message and only take the attachment or to
> >discard attachments and only take the message when evaluating spam.
> >
> >For instance Dan's false positives mail got filtered out by my
> >bogofilter because the attached mail looked like spam (it happened to
> >score spamicity=0.499997)
> >
> >I believe (from reading this list) that bogofilter does MIME stuff.
> >Maybe I'll have a look and see how easy it would be to patch this
> >afternoon.
> Bogofilter understands MIME structure (boundaries, headers, bodies,
> etc), content-types (multipart/alternative, text/plain, text/html,..),
> encodings (base64, quoted-printable, uuencode), etc.  However it does
> not understand _all_ content-types.  In particular message/rfc822
> isn't handled.  Using a perl script to extract the forwarded message
> would be a good solution.

Fair enough.  I've just realised that Dan's message wasn't filtered
because it had an attached message (as I had misremembered it to be) but
because of the attached file.  I think I'll always want to scan files.

Simon.

--
oOoOo     "Problème délicat, résolu par notre présidente qui a     oOoOo
 oOoOo            installé Caudium" -- Laurent Rathle             oOoOo