UI for correcting mistakes

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Mar 14 14:05:36 CET 2003

At 07:49 AM 3/14/03, Greg Louis wrote:

> > There's a lot of valuable information in the headers.  Preserving it is
> > important for training bogofilter.  Whether it's better to forward or
> > attach is something I'm not sure of.  It could depend on the MUA.  Also,
> > I'd bet that having a 'forward' stanza is pretty harmless and unlikely to
> > skew results.
> >
>My power users bounce their spam (Eudora calls it "redirect" IIRC) --
>at first they regularly forwarded it, but they started to turn up as
>senders of messages that became false positives.  Since they switched
>to bouncing we haven't seen that problem recur.

I defer to the voice of experience :-)  True facts are always better than
speculation.

Since I love to speculate, I bet that a relevant factor is "train on
errors" instead of "auto-update ('-u')".  If you used -u, all your users
would be well represented in the good wordlist.  Since you use
train-on-error, the token counts for userids are all much lower so
forwarding apparently has enough effect on the counts to affect
bogofilter's results.  Very interesting ...

Thanks, Greg.