BerkeleyDB error

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 21:38:27 CEST 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Matthias,
>
> As part of my bogofilter integrity checks, at 8:00, 16:00, and 24:00 I
> make a copy of spamlist.db and goodlist.db and run db_verify.  (I also
> keep the 24:00 files for a week.).
>
> The 8:00AM check found revealed an error that wasn't there 8 hours
> earlier.  The db_verify messages (or lack of them) is shown below for
> the midnight and 8:00AM databases.  The mail server is running
> bogofilter-static-0.13.4 (May 28 22:44).  The db3 version is
> db3.3-3.3.11-11mdk.
>
> I've reverted the spamlist.db to the previous good copy.  Any thoughts
> on further checks/diagnostics to run on the bad file?

Hum, I missed that you sent this to the list as well.

David and I have talked a bit behind the scenes, and I have no clues
what can cause this. Wietse Venema would probably recommend getting ECC
memory... Unless we have a locking failure (very unlikely unless some
script interfered).

BTW, db_verify does not lock, so if it fails on a data base that's under
write operations, re-run db_verify when the writer application has quit
and the data base is stable again.