What if bogofilter isn't installed at your ISP?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jul 31 21:06:39 CEST 2003

At 02:37 PM 7/31/03, Steven wrote:
>Greetings all.
>
>First I apologize for asking such a basic question. I read the FAQ, and
>searched the archives, etc.
>
>Can someone please give me a suggestion concerning the following
>circumstances:
>
>1) My ISP does run GNU/Linux, to which I do have shell access, and
>gcc and procmail appears to be functional. Their MTA is Exim 3.36.
>2) Bogofilter is not installed on my ISP.
>3) I do run GNU/Linux on my main workstation, from which I use Kmail
>to get my email via POP3 directly from my ISP server.
>
>Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to improve my quality of
>life concerning spam?

Welcome Steven,

'Tis good that your ISP runs linux and you have shell access.  If your ISP
uses procmail, you can setup a private .procmailrc for your private email
and have it run bogofilter.

Alternately, have your workstation use fetchmail (or something) to get the
mail from your ISP, then use bogofilter to score it, then POP3 it from your
own machine.

The above is somewhat skimpy on details, but should get you started.

Hope it helps,