David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jul 21 17:39:13 CEST 2003

At 11:25 AM 7/21/03, Jesse Meyer wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Apparently some mailers generate invalid Content-Type
> > headers.  Specifically, "Content-Type: text" has been seen.  It's invalid
> > because the spec (rfc2045) requires 'type "/" subtype.  (See below for a
> > quote from rfc2045).
> >
> > Currently bogofilter requires the slash and will skip a mime part whose
> > content lacks the slash.  It has been suggested that bogofilter be changed
> > to accept messages with non-conformant lines.
> >
> > The question is:  Should bogofilter continue to require the slash, or not?
>
>I'm not a developer or programmer, but presumably bogofilter uses the
>content type for some sort of scoring.  Why not allow an invalid content
>type (no "/" subtype) to be used as another way to score the message?

Jesse,

"Content-Type:" gives a mail reader information on how to process a
message.  Common values are

etc.

The occurrence of an invalid type _could_ be used to add a meta-token, as
could many other characteristics of a message.  The next step is for
somebody to do the coding, test the result, and find whether the change is
useful or not.  After that, the feature can be added to bogofilter.  At
present, I'm declining the opportunity to take on the task.